Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode,
Commissioner for L.G
Chairman House committee on L.G
Chairperson Apapa Iganmu LCDA.
ALLEGED EXPLOITATION FROM DOUBLE TAXATION AND OPPRESSION WITH DIRECT ATTACK BY APAPA IGANMU LCDA ON IFESOWAPO WHITE SAND TRAILER PARK OWNERS
We write to intimate you of allegation of exploitation from double taxation on members of the above named park most of whom are members of HURMA, Apapa Iganmu unit. Also reported at our central office is alleged regular harassment from hoodlums working for the LCDA, for the purpose of illegal money collection. These among other corrupt practices, we want you to address with your esteemed office, as a matter of urgency.
Among other facts, some of which are historical, that you may need to guide your investigation are:
1. That Ifesowapo White Sand Trailer Park is a place owned by some trailer owners who operate legally under Association of Maritime Truck Owners (AMATO), who came together on agreement to use their individually acquired land as a parking space and as well repair their faulty vehicles so as to avoid constituting nuisance by the road side.
2. That the group pay yearly revenue with receipt up-to-date for the above parking purpose, to Apapa Iganmu LCDA.
3. That they all pay loading and offloading fee whenever they are out on operation to load at Apapa port.
4. That they are often confronted with the problem of double taxation from Apapa Iganmu LCDA who at times request that they must also pay for loading and offloading for the park in use, an issue that should not arise in any form because they neither load nor offload at that park.
5. That the above issue was once addressed by a former chairman of the LCDA, Hon. Olusola Adebayo (JIMSAM), who admitted that such issue of loading and offloading fee at the parking space should be considered null and void.
6. That same issue was also discussed with the present LCDA chairperson while serving as the Executive Secretary to the LCDA, before the present regime, which she also agreed and put a stop at.
7. That some hoodlums who recently attacked the park operators claimed attachment to the LCDA and this was confirmed by the head of revenue department of the LCDA popularly called Coach, who spoke at a recent meeting with the park operator, on behalf of the executive chairperson.
We therefore demand as earlier stated that you use your esteemed office to promptly investigate and stop further harassment of our people who are peaceful and would prefer that issues are better addressed from the position of law rather than resulting to self help.
In our letter to the LCDA chairperson, (copy attached) we stated that is our believe that double taxation is a financial crime and could be investigated by EFCC and ICPC. We equally reiterated that ignorance is not and should never be an excuse before the law and the Supremacy of Law is guaranteed by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. But all these were neglected.
Finally, we would appreciate if all monies so far exploited from the poor Nigerians, in the process of their legitimate business, are all returned to them for such might be passed by our office as a proceed of corruption which we have always fought alongside the present federal government.
Thanks for your anticipated prompt
Comrade Buna Olaitan Isiak